After Bone Grafting
- Day 1 after surgery – clear fluids (water, ginger ale, apple juice, broth, jello)
- Day 2 & 3 after surgery – full fluids (cream soups, custards, yogurt, protein drinks (Ensure)
- Day 4 onward – soft foods (mashed potatoes, eggs, pasta)
DO NOT chew hard foods for at least 7 days as this may cause your stitches to pull out, which in turn can lead to increased pain and infection.
- Day 1 after surgery if there is no dressing rinse with Chlorhexidine oral rinse (Peridex/ Periogard) twice a day. Rinse gently for 1 minute, spit, and DO NOT eat or drink for 20 minutes after rinsing.
- Day 1 after surgery rinse with salt water as frequently as possible after eating or drinking.
- If there is a dressing covering the surgical site. DO NOT remove the dressing – it will be removed at your follow up visit. The dressing is very important to protect the surgical site from bacteria, food and other harmful substances. The dressing may fall off on its own – if it does be protective of the surgical site.
- DO NOT remove or touch your sutures.
- DO NOT chew on the grafted site for a minimum of 3 three weeks after surgery.
- If you have a denture do not use it for at least 1 week – instructions will be given to you about the denture at your first follow up visit.
- Day 1 after surgery start oral hygiene with a new ultra soft tooth brush & tooth paste.
- Avoid brushing over the surgical/grafted site for 1 week.
- KEEP THE SURGICAL SITE AS CLEAN AS POSSIBLE
- PLEASE ENSURE YOUR POST-OPERATIVE APPOINTMENT IS BOOKED WITHIN 10 DAYS OF YOUR SURGERY
- DO NOT SMOKE- smokers have significantly higher risks of post-operative infection, bone graft failure and implant failure.
Paging Dr. Meisami
To reach Dr. Meisami in an emergency, you can page her/ him directly.
For Dr. Meisami, please dial 1-855-266-7243 (1-855-2ON-PAGE). Enter Dr. Meisami’s pager number,923-2100, and press Pound (#). Enter a callback number where Dr. Meisami can reach you. She will respond as soon as possible. Alternately, to send Dr. Meisami a written message, please email email@example.com. Make sure to include your contact information and a description of the issue. Dr. Meisami will respond as soon as possible.